Teton Pass

Monday, July 23, 2007

Casper: Jackalopes and Dick Cheney

By the time the fifth or sixth Halliburton gas guzzling truck passed me on the highway coming in to Casper I thought something was up. Then when I found out good ol' "shoot your friend when you go hunting" Dick Cheney calls Casper his home, it all made sense! We got to spend two days in this lovely cowboy town because day two was a build day. The Drum and Bugle Corp let us stay in their air conditioned space where I napped for a good part of day one, until I woke up to make chili dinner for the 30 of us (it was my chore groups turn to make dinner).


A 6am wake up call was in store for day 2 so that we could meet Dean at the build site, and let me tell you Dean was quite the treat. At build sites I usually like to sit back and see what all the tasks are before I decide what I can do best, at this one I decided cleaning up would probably be my best bet. So Marie, Pat, Amelia and I went over to house #2 and swept up saw dust. We swept and swept, Dean would interject with positive reinforcement saying things like, "Once you think you're done sweeping, then just keep going." This went on for 3 hours! Finally we were finished and allowed to do a second sanding of the floor...then more sweeping. Then the fun began. We used power drills (I actually used one of these things) to put a new floor down as a base to go under the nice wood kitchen floor that would go down later. It took about 3 more hours to measure and cut the pieces and drill them down, but during that time Dean loosened up quite a bit and began singing. This build day was so much fun and we couldn't think of a better way to end it but to go to the Home Country Buffet. Yum Roast Beef and Mac n' Cheese.




No comments: